Autism Care Home
What Can you Do?
If you think your child may be pre-autistic (see: Early Sign of Autism
) here are a some suggestions:
Check with your pediatrician regarding the child’s physical development to rule out hearing, sight, speech and language impediments. Other possibilities:
- Investigate: chromosome analysis and X chromosome DNA typing for Fragile X and other X-linked causes of learning disabilities
- Screen for Haemoglobinoopathies & Mucopolysaccharide and other physical possibilities
Observe your child and think about the following:
- What is their personality? How would you describe him/her to others?
- What are their likes and dislikes? For ex: do they like noise? Quiet? Music? What kind?
(If you don’t know – try classical, country, jazz etc.)
- Do they have a special blanket or toy?
- What do they do, how do they react when you are cooking or busy or on the phone?
- Are they different from your other children or friend’s children? In what way?
- Do they like to be bathed or changed?
- How do they eat? Do they eat quickly or slowing, enjoying the feeding and attention?
Capture Details of the above
Avoid mechanical toys or entertainment; it just makes them feel more detached. This includes:
- a. TV (Not even educational – you are their best entertainment!)
- b. Electrical or wind up Mobiles (stationary is OK)
- c. Education toys that have various items dangling in front of their eyes
- d. Wind up or automatic swinging chairs
- e. Jumpers that attach to doorways
Interact with your baby!
Pay attention to what the child needs.
- Talk to them, but not incessantly.
- Sing to them in a comforting way
- Play music they like
- If you swing them, do it from the front and talk or sing to them
- Create anticipation. For example: 1, 2, 3 – Peek a Boo! 1,2,3 – lift them up or swing them…gently.
- Recite and act out nursery rhymes or children’s songs with them. For example: “Itsey, Bitsy spider”,
“Row, row, row your boat” or make one up!
The cost for this screening is $250 USD or £130 or €
and we’ll provide you with a professional assessment.
For more information see: How We Can Help
We work with children all over the world